Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Fast & Easy: Watermelon Sherbet

Ok, so this actually takes a lot of time to get everything to freeze up properly.  But, hands on time, it only takes 5 minutes or so.  And no churning! So I am classifying this as both fast and easy.
I needed something to do with a quickly over-ripening watermelon -- since it is just the hubby and me at home and he won't eat watermelon (kinda weird, right?).  This stuff is creamy sweet and tastes like summer!
It is based of Martha Stewart's recent recipe for Peach Sherbet.  Using the same basic recipe, you could make any kind of sherbet you want from fleshy fruit (i.e. I'm not sure how stuff like citrus would turn out... but if you try it, let me know!).
You'll need a food processor, probably -- though you might be able to get away with a blender.

Ingredients

  • 6 cups (or more) cubed watermelon - frozen.  I HIGHLY recommend that you freeze it single layers (i.e. on a baking sheet or similar) so you don't end up with un-processable chunks like I did.
  • 1c (~1 14oz can) sweetened condensed milk.
  • Other flavors if you so choose (a bit of salt is really good for watermelon, and probably everything else... except your heart.)  See the bottom for some things I am going to try as the summer progresses.

 Directions

Combine all the ingredients in your food processor.  Process.  Transfer to a metal container.  Freeze.  Done.



If you like REALLY soft sherbet, you might have a serving right after processing.  Cause it will be delicious.  But I think it is a bit on the soupy side then.  And, if you don't make nice, process-able chunks you will need to fish out anything that doesn't get sherbet-ified.


Flavor Ideas

I'm going to mix and match these fruits (fresh, frozen, or canned!) and flavorings to make some awesome sherbet this summer.
  • Watermelon
  • Peach
  • Cherry
  • Various berries (Straw, blue, rasp, black)
  • Apricot
  • Mango 
  • Vanilla
  • Basil
  • Lavender
  • Rosewater
  • Lime juice


Maybe I'll try mixing in things too (sprinkles?  Chocolate chips?)!
Do you have ideas about yummy flavors to try? I forbid mint - because it is nasty!

I am linking up to these great parties!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...